Re: In search of a large orchestral tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on December 31, 2002 at 11:52:54:

In Reply to: In search of a large orchestral tuba posted by Brian on December 31, 2002 at 09:09:32:

If you can find a good one, the Mirafone 1290, once 'fixed' is a killer orchestral horn. I had to sell mine because I needed someting smaller, but the new owner is in love with it, and his teacher, Dave Zerkel who plays a PT6P, loves it as well. They play and sound in the ballpark of the PT6P, but have their own feel and sound which has even been characterized as being more verstatile and also slightly more "American". They are usually dirt cheap if you find a used one, but with under a grand of work you have a pro orchestral horn.
EMail me or Lee Stofer for more more info about the horn and what was done. I belive Rod Stewart in LA also made one of these horns into a killer ax.

Note: Whatever horn you decide on, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT IS ON THE BELL - ONLY CONCERN YOURSELF WITH HOW IT PLAYS!!!!

Marty "Yes, my 2145 is a little more agile above the staff, but some days I just miss that SOUND!" Neilan

Follow Ups: