Re: Re: Gronitz Kaiser Tuba Info?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam on December 31, 2002 at 14:03:05:

In Reply to: Re: Gronitz Kaiser Tuba Info? posted by Rick Denney on December 31, 2002 at 13:20:34:

Rick,

Thanks for the strong post. I guess some on the board might view me as a simpleton, but frankly my philosophy towards my playing is that "if it aint broke, don’t fix it." I began on BBb horns, and I always enjoyed and loved the sound that they have produced. I resisted the urge to switch to a CC horn while beginning my undergraduate education, and largely it’s thanks to a teacher who left it to me decide. I am proficient on BBb, CC, and Eb (have not had the chance to play in F yet), but I find no problems in playing a BBb horn in all types of ensembles. I don’t think that CC horns are worth the exorbitant price that they command (personal viewpoint) when I can pay much less for a very capable and beautiful BBb horn. I see the debate on the board all the time of which is better, but it is really a subjective argument with the answer lying in the player. I just think that many have entered into an "arms race" to buy the biggest, newest, most expensive tuba they can find rather than sitting down and finding one that you enjoy the most.

Nonetheless, I am now at a point where I can afford to purchase a better tuba. As we all do, I am just doing my homework, playing as many different horns as I can, and when the dust settles I hope to have a new horn. The Gronitz peeked my curiosity and I have heard good things.

My opinion for what its worth,
Sam

Follow Ups: