Re: In search of a large orchestral tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt on December 31, 2002 at 15:39:00:

In Reply to: In search of a large orchestral tuba posted by Brian on December 31, 2002 at 09:09:32:

I've played both the Willson CC and the PT-6, and think that they are both great horns. I own a Willson, and really enjoy playing on it. It projects really well, and has a powerful sound. The PT-6 is also a pleasure to play, although it doesn't project as well. It definitely has the warmer sound of the two horns. The only drawback I've seen with the PT-6 is the low register, specifically when using the 5th valve. It's not even close to being as open as the Willson, and can sometimes be hard to slot. Other than that, it's very easy to sound good playing one. The Willson, however, takes some getting used to. It's got a brighter sound, and will cut through any group you play with. The low register is a dream, and overall the horn is even throughout it's entire range. As far as price goes, you can usually get a Willson for around $8,500 from places like Fedderly's, and sometimes they'll let you trade in. Getting a new PT-6, you'd have to go through Custom, and I'm not sure how much they cost (seems like it's somewhere around $10,000). If you've got any questions you'd like to ask me privately, just send me an email. Hope this helps.

Matt S.

Follow Ups: