Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 31, 2002 at 17:28:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BAT-Specific Playing Techniques? Rick D? posted by Frank on December 31, 2002 at 16:54:01:

It sounds to me like Dale is making the distinction only on the basis of the forward bell.

My York Master is a tuba through and through, but I can replace the upright bell with a forward bell (currently collecting dust in my storeroom) and I suppose it's a recording tuba. The tuba/bass distinction is in terminology only--the instruments are the same. The recording/concert distinction is real, and I think that was Dale's point. A 20J always has the forward bell--if it had an upright bell, it would be a 21J (or whatever--I never remember the numbers). The bodies are the same either way.

Dale's point was that if you compare a 20J with its forward bell in a concert hall to an upright-bell BAT, you don't get the same effect, and thus they require different techniques. I entirely agree--the whole point, it seems to me, of the fat bi-radial bell is to create wide dispersion and multipath acoustics to the listener. The forward bell pointed right at the listener creates a different effect. You can, of course, hold the instrument and point the bell such that it is not terribly unlike the direction it would be pointed if it was upright, which is a corrective strategy.

Rick "who suggests not getting hung up on terms" Denney

Follow Ups: