Re: Re: PT-6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by alex on January 01, 2003 at 19:04:23:

In Reply to: Re: PT-6 posted by Steve Marcus on January 01, 2003 at 17:06:03:

pt 6's are easier to manipulate than the 7's. the 7's have the same tibral characteristics as the 6's, in fact they are almost identical exept for a couple places in the wrap, the bow and the bell. the 7's are simply bigger and therefore more cumbersome. i had a 7 for 2 years. I really liked it, and it was soooo easy to play comfortably with a large ensemble and still project. i traded down to a 6 this summer, and I'm a lot more comfortable now. I've had some high volume gigs recently, and it would have been nice to have the 7 for a few bars, but either horn does the job nicely. a friend of mine is a very large (big, not heavy) guy, and the 7 is perfectly comfortable for him. If I were his size, I doubt I would have had the ergonomic problems with my old 7. I did some quintet work with the 7 last year, and it did not ruin everything.

they are both good horns, and for such well made instruments, they aren't stupidly expensive. I've recently realized how sensless it is to obsess about equipment, though it is our right to seek out the tools which make our lives the easiest. still, it is nice to have such a wide variety of instruments available to us. opinions will differ, but at least we have more then 3 or 4 models from which to find our own medium of expression. happy new year. do your laundry. find the horn that's right for you.

Follow Ups: