Re: Away from tuba/Mouthpiece practice?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris B on January 01, 2003 at 21:24:45:

In Reply to: Away from tuba/Mouthpiece practice? posted by Help on December 28, 2002 at 17:21:53:

Buzzing is great. If you have a small tuner like a Korg 20 or 30 or something similar, buzz your mouthpiece IN TUNE (what a concept). Glissandos while buzzing help extend the buzzing range. Instead of buying a buzzing aid like the ones at WindSong, just use your little finger to partially cover the end to add a bit of resistence. Helps with the low note buzzing. Key here, as in playing, is to avoid pressure. Buzz with thumb and index finger only holding mouthpiece and don't push if you add the little finger and the end for resistance.
I find that experimenting here leads to better overall sound. I like to kind of feel a nasal resonance while I buzz as it seems to tell me I am allowing my whole embrochure to participate, not just my lips. Try for the mos resonant buzz you can get. When you get back to your horn, you'll be amazed. Read about Jacobs' experiences while in the hospital when he was younger and you'll really become a believer.

Follow Ups: