Re: Jazz band and tuba solo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on December 03, 2003 at 17:17:39:

In Reply to: Jazz band and tuba solo posted by ken k on December 02, 2003 at 22:37:10:

You probably will not find a piece written specifically for tuba. Bass or tenor trombone or bari sax (readable by most tuba players) would be better places to look. As far as bassline construction, you will find all the theory and bass texts you could ever want from Jamey Aebersold (www.jazzbooks.com). I particularly recommend "The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine ("The Jazz Piano Book" is also good, and covers much of the same material; if the student is even moderately proficient at the keyboard, this would be a better choice). I don't have any experience with any of the bass texts.

It is important that you don't concentrate on "theory" more than "practice", by which I mean you should purchase one of the transcribed bass line books as well. I believe there is one to accompany vol. 70, which is one of the beginning/intermediate books. The ideal situation would be to have the both the play along and the transcribed bass lines so that the student can hear them played in context, play them in context, and then create their own based on what they've learned. So often, jazz theory taught out of context yield sub-par results. Make sure that there is always a "real life" model involved.

Follow Ups: