Re: Re: Tuba & Trombone Duets?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TC addendum on December 08, 2003 at 19:35:05:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba & Trombone Duets? posted by TC on December 08, 2003 at 18:57:22:

These questions always bother me. From what I've seen on this BBS, there seems to be this mindset that only tuba lit can be played on the tuba. While there are areas of concern, such as close intervals in the low register, most solos, duets, trios, etc. can be played by most instruments or combinations. (OK, string players, I know wind instruments can't play double stops.)

We'll play the piccolo part from "Stars and Stripes" and think we're really cool but never consider taking a piano trio and substituting brass for the string parts. We look for brass quintet music but don't think of using woodwind quintet literature. We want a tuba solo and ignore violin, viola, cello, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, horn, saxophone, trumpet, trombone or any other kind of music.

Are we too lazy to transpose any thing? Do we think it won't work if it isn't written for tuba. Does it just not cross our minds to adapt? I don't know, but alot of us are missing out on some great music.

Most of us who've been to college and studied music have had some sort of composition/arranging schooling. And even those who haven't will find the process relatively easy. So, get out there and grab ANY kind of music and make it work for your tuba. Your fans are dying to hear you play that Bach violin sonata.

Follow Ups: