Re: Smaller mouthpiece for bigger horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bloke on December 11, 2003 at 15:46:41:

In Reply to: Smaller mouthpiece for bigger horn posted by Mike Wilson on December 11, 2003 at 13:55:06:

I have a new so-called "6/4" size tuba with a "normal" (which most folks would actually interpret as "much smaller than normal for 6/4") mouthpipe taper. I really like the instrument, and the low range (unlike what some might predict) is more "open" and easy than just about any other model.

I've found that I can benefit from a larger-than-standard mouthpiece throat size since the proper amount of resistance is built into the mouthpipe tube itself. I've opened up the throat of my mouthpiece from the sort-of industry standard of approximately .323" to about .355"...and the "backbore" as well. I also fine-tuned the outside of the shank to make the end of the mouthpiece almost perfectly meet up with the end of the mouthpipe inside the mouthpiece receiver on the tuba.

All of these details only possibly indicate one thing: With every tuba, it is a good idea to start with a mouthpiece you've had success with in the past and depart gradually from that point until you find the best formula for the particular tuba you are playing.

no answers / no stock formula

Follow Ups: