Re: Hirsbrunner F tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on December 14, 2003 at 20:55:58:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner F tubas? posted by info please on December 14, 2003 at 00:32:35:

I just bought a model 388. I don't know the Custom music model number. It's the smaller piston valved f. I think it's a fantastic horn. As for being on the small side, it is brighter than a lot of other f's on the market, but that's why I bought it. My Yamaha 822 f is a great horn also, but sounded a bit too similar to my 4/4 CC.

I used it last night at in a concert with a large (maybe 70 voices) choir, pipe organ, and 8 piece brass ensemble. We had a friend sitting in the back of the very large church; she could hear it very well and said that the tuba carried better than the rest of the instruments.

It plays well all over. As for the timbral scope, I've happy with it; it gets a nice dark sound when I want, but if I turn up the air speed a little, I can make it sizzle or bark like a bass trombone.

It's extremely responsive, speaks very easily and seems to follow me like a shadow when I play.

I may have some soundfiles to download later if you are interested (nothing special, just me practicing and fooling around).

You can email me if you have any specific questions at jeff(AT)mardibrass.com.

Jeff Miller
London

Follow Ups: