Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on December 18, 2003 at 11:03:01:

In Reply to: Teaching and reality posted by no name on December 17, 2003 at 21:30:12:

Since much has been posted about the dystonia issue, I will comment on the first question.

To my way of thinking, and it will be different for every individual, you live once (unless you believe in reincarnation), so why waste time by NOT doing what you love? I've met so many people that express such regret because they didn't follow their dream.

Of course, the decision whether to have professional aspirations requires a mix of practicality and idealism. The way I describe it to my students is this:

First, I ask them a series of questions...how badly do you want to make music performance your career? What type of dedication and sacrifice are you willing to make? I explain the financial and emotional struggles that they will likely experience and how the required skills for freelancing overlap and differ in various ways from choosing the orchestral audition route. I don't try to be discouraging, but I don't sugarcoat anything. Then the ball is in each individual's court. Although students will often ask about music careers, I ask them at the beginning of 11th grade what their career intentions are, if they know already. Armed with the bare facts, the student can then make an informed and personal decision. A lot depends on just how much a person is willing to sacrifice to go after their dreams.

Why are schools turning out tons of music students into a very very limited job market? Because schools are businesses. Teachers often take on students based on the potential they see in the student. Its not always about being a finished product upon high school graduation. Also, be careful when you ask "Why are teachers suggesting orchestra study to tuba players who have no job future?". No responsible teacher suggests such a career to a player who obviously does not have the talent and education to follow through, but again so much can change in one's playing during college that there is no way to know what a player may sound like after 4 years.

True, only the very best achieve the lofty heights of major orchestral careers, but that doesn't mean they won't find careers in music that they find immensely satisfying…performance or otherwise. When we are young, we often tend to be somewhat tunnel-visioned which in some ways can be very good for our focus. I think that as we get older, we learn that there are other areas of music performance or music in general where we get a lot of enjoyment and can excel. Basically, our horizons expand.

I also don't subscribe to the theory that at age "X" it is time to move on if you haven't found your musical niche. Again, that is a very personal decision based on life circumstances and changing priorities.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it proves helpful.

GP

Follow Ups: