Re: Bore Size

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on December 18, 2003 at 12:27:15:

In Reply to: Bore Size posted by Chris on December 18, 2003 at 11:10:47:

If any question is individual, then this one.

Lung capacity, square area of the inner wind-piping, abilities to relax, abilities to shape the cavities of throat and mouth, strength and formation of the embouchure musculature, and, not to forget the strength, flexibility, and co-ordination of the diaphragm and abdominal musculature constitute an overwhelming number of individual parameters with an even larger number of significant permutations.

That is why the large number of various tuba models is relevant to the market, even if each model has a much smaller turnover in numbers than have some popular trumpet and horn models.

It is extremely difficult to predict, which bore/bell combinations one should go for.

I have two bass trombones: an old 1st edition B&H Sovereign and a King 7B from around 1990. The first one has a graduated bore through the two in-line valves. Formally an ideal situation for the difficult notes just above the open pedal. But whereas this Sovereign trombone is world-class in the open and 1st valve ranges, it is very hard to make flexible dynamics on in the 2 valve range. The King 7B has a uniform bore through the slide and both valves. Despite obvious expectations it is VERY good in the 2 valve range.

The Yamaha YEP 641 euph has the combination of a largish bore and a bell not above medium, which ideologically and de-facto is the right thing for me. Oddly enough my favourite Eb tuba is a Besson Sovereign 981 has a bore not above average (.689) with a largish 19" bell.

Some tubists have achieved the peak of ambitiousness by owning and playing tubas considered the ultimate available on the market. Just to sell them a few years later. Not caused in financial strappedness, but because they had found better models for their personal purposes.

Some tubists consider Mahler 1st being an F tuba job. I have just heard our RSO play that piece. Jens Bjørn-Larsen made a fabulous performance on his 1st-generation-Yorkbrunner/Conn Helleberg set-up.

This posting is anything but helpful seen in the light of your question. But there is no real substitute for personal try-outs, no matter how difficult they will be, if one is not located in the north-east US or in the southern end of the German speaking Europe.

Klaus

Follow Ups: