Re: Bore Size

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on December 18, 2003 at 13:31:01:

In Reply to: Bore Size posted by Chris on December 18, 2003 at 11:10:47:

Basically, more comes into play than just bore when it comes to center and "edge-ability" of an instrument. It really just has to do with how the entire instrument is set up. I can get an edgier sound out of a Mirafone 188 than I can out of my RM-43, even though the 188 has a larger bore and a wider bell. There is something about the RM that makes it capable of playing really really loud without getting an ugly sound. The Piggy CC that I used to have had a wider bore than even the HB-6 I used to have and the Piggy was one of the easiest playing and quickest centering tubas I ever played.

If you want a full sound with lots of core, you're just going to have to try out a lot of tubas and get the one that fits your concept best. But more importantly, you're going to have to practice your ass off.

To specifically answer your questions about what tubas seem to cross the gap the best, my RM-43 does it better than any tuba I've ever played. It is super easy to play and the sound has lots of core but still lots of breadth. If you want something larger, I think that a Mirafone 188 with the right mouthpiece is one of the best sounding large 4/4 tubas on the market. I'm recommending rotary tubas, I know, and I am doing that because in my experience the tubas with exceptionally good core to the sound (which you mentioned you wanted) have been rotary valved horns. Flame if you wish, but that's been my experience.

-ck

Follow Ups: