Re: Yamaha Silent Brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on December 18, 2003 at 17:22:40:

In Reply to: Yamaha Silent Brass posted by Chris Blaha on December 18, 2003 at 16:40:05:

the Yamaha Silent Brass is as good as it gets for practice mutes. It's the most free blowing and quietest of the ones I've tried. It's big & heavy, but it works. But, it's still a practice mute. It still changes the feel of the horn noticeably and still alters pitch. The electronics, for me, are pretty useless. I can hear & feel enough without the headphones plugged in that I never use them. I haven't used the mute with the new pickup, but with mine I get more sympathetic noise in my head from the vibrations through the mouthpiece than I get sound out of the headphones. I think that'd be true no matter how strong the signal was coming from the mute. But, ymmv.

Anyhow, it was a worthwhile purchase because it makes it possible for me to practice in my apartment late if I need to. If you want a practice mute, the Silent Brass gets my recommendation. If you can purchase it without the electronics, that's the way I'd go.

-ck

Follow Ups: