Re: Yamaha Silent Brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Stafford on December 19, 2003 at 20:12:13:

In Reply to: Yamaha Silent Brass posted by Chris Blaha on December 18, 2003 at 16:40:05:

I'm with Chuck on this one.... I purchased my SB mute about a year and a half ago (at almost half price, but my wife still flipped her lid) and I love it. It looks silly, but once I sit down with my horn and play I dont care. I've been able to practice in the same room with my wife and have her hardly notice (this is either a testament to the mute or to her ability to completely ignore me...). It's a bit heavy though, and it alters the horns center of gravity drastically (no fancy horn moves, mister!), but for what its worth, it works beautifully.
The electronics are pretty decent...I'll record myself with no problem. However, all the cords (AC Adapter, Mute-in cord, headphone cord, mic-in cord (my headset has 2 cords)) tend to tie you up to one spot. I can't let my kids bother me at all when I'm using the mute, as I have to take the effort to put the horn down (obviously you cant stand it up) and unplug myself enough to be mobile. When I play without the electronics it works just fine...I get enough sense of what I'm playing to be useful. Pitch does go up and its obviously not going to sound the same (I have an air inequality issue...my head pressurizes and I have to keep popping my ears), but if you have to play with a mute...this one is definately worth it.

Follow Ups: