Re: sterling perantucci euph

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenny Jay on December 21, 2003 at 08:58:36:

In Reply to: sterling perantucci euph posted by Tom on December 20, 2003 at 16:36:42:

There is a real love-hate relationship with the Sterling PT euphs. I think they have the finest valves out there. On the other hand, I feel they have intonation problems like I have never seen before. Their lower partials are horrid. Especially the 2-3 combinations. On the other end of the spectrum, their highs are also out of tune. Mainly the first valve. I couldn't find alternates that were any better. I had to lip everything from a G upwards. Nasty.

Years ago, the Sterlings had a reputation of something akin to black magic. People would play one for awhile. Then switch back to their normal euph, and have one h*** of a time to get their intonation back to normal. People lost a lot of money trying to sell a used one. Nobody wanted them.

It all comes down to trying as many horns you can get your hands on. Last year, I myself tried a bunch, and ended up with a Willson 2950. Not a very popular euph, but it worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Follow Ups: