Re: Cleveland tubist before Bishop

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by F.C. Roberts info on December 22, 2003 at 16:04:01:

In Reply to: Cleveland tubist before Bishop posted by Billy M. on December 21, 2003 at 18:45:41:

Chester Roberts was principal tuba in Cleavland from '51-'67. Prior to that he was in Pittsburhg under Riener(I think). He told me he was in the orchestra that filled in for the BSO in Tanglewood during one of the summers of WWII. After Cleavland, he went on to the San Franscisco Symphony Orchestra for one or two years then Chataqua until '71. He taught at Case Western U and Oberlin (I think).

I met him at Boston Conservatory in 1985. I had him for brass pedagogy and some other things. He was not my tuba teacher however. Chester Schmitz was. I thought he was a very knowlegable musician and I spoke often with him about the Szell years. I think he still teaches at Gordon College. When I knew him he already had not played in many years and refused to let anyone hear him play. He told me his instruments were a 4/4 York CC (laquer), Mirafone 186 5U, an Alex F and a Mirafone contra bass trombone. He told me Szell thought the York sounded like a band instrument and spent most of his career on the Alex F. Ther is a video of the "The Great Conductors" and there is a shot of him playing Academic Festival Overture. He looked quite young as when i knew him he looked quite a bit like Orson Wells. Nice guy though.

Follow Ups: