Re: Bass Bone Doubling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on December 22, 2003 at 20:33:25:

In Reply to: Bass Bone Doubling posted by Thom Dean on December 22, 2003 at 19:12:08:

The way I learn a new instrument is to first learn to pick out one octave major scales BY EAR. This is important for both the bass and the bass trombone, as it gets you familiar with how the instrument works. Make sure that you are not hacking; make them sound really great. If you get bored, you personal standards are too low.

Once you are comfortable with the basic scales and range and intonation, buy a good beginning band book and learn to play every single line in it so that you sound like you could go out a teach lessons on that instrument.

by the time that you have done these two things well enough to get paid on this new instrument, you will be ready to buy some etude books and make yourself into a real bass trombonist. If you do not feel like you are ready to go out and gig on easy wedding-type things then do not take the work. BUT - if you are really playing at the right level, but are just afraid to go out and make a fool of yourself, then just take the plunge.

When I first doubled on bass, I felt like I was faking or pretending. I was good enough after a while that one of my friends fooled me into doing my first bass-only gig. I was really mad at him and REALLY self-conscious about looking stupid to my colleagues. I felt like they expected a certain level of playing from me as a tubist and that they would not get that from me as a bassist. I was full of it. I did fine.

If you are worried about the slide and intonation, sit in a free group (a community band or whatever) until you feel confident enough to charge money for your second instrument.

If you are an adequate tubist, and you really apply your knowledge and ear to the new axe, you will be just fine after you gain some experience.

Doubling can really spice up your playing life. As a bass boner, you will get to do big band gigs that you normally would never do on the tuba. And in quintet, you can do all of that neat Renaissance lit and get a more authentic sound. And now you will not get left off of those 2 trumpet/2 trombone church gigs.

DO THIS WELL AND YOU WILL START TO TAKE HOME MORE MONEY AND YOU WILL HAVE MORE FUN!!!!

Good luck! When you finally get that check from your first bone gig, tell us all about it: how long it took you and what you did to get there.

Regards,

Wade "finally doubled my normal freelance money this year with my bass (took three years to build it up that much)" Rackley

Follow Ups: