Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: absolut pitch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bloke on December 25, 2003 at 11:20:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: absolut pitch posted by Tom Mason on December 25, 2003 at 09:05:58:

Talkin' about sound things that drive you nuts...

What about those "difference tones" (not overtones) that occur when two trumpets are playing medium-high to high harmonies? (thirds, etc.)...

You end up hearing tones that are (I think) the mathematic difference between the frequencies of two trumpets' sounding pitches and those extraneous tones are LOUD!...kinda sounds like a "stupid" bass line in the alto/tenor range...

...You hear this phenomenon a lot with baroque piccolo trumpet duets (or within a quintet-with-organ context playing baroque arrangements, etc.), and "modern" brass quintets during "intense" passages, etc...

Sometimes these (what I call) "difference" tones are in-the-chord and in-tune, sometimes in-the-chord and out-of-tune, and sometimes they have NOTHING to do with the chord. Quite often, its really hard for me to concentrate on my own playing when this is going on. It's sorta like having a beginner playing a saxophone (or maybe running a vacuum cleaner) during your brass quintet concert/reheasal.

:^(

Follow Ups: