Re: Re: Re: Re: Ideas for an old man!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scott on December 26, 2003 at 18:02:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Ideas for an old man! posted by js on December 26, 2003 at 13:02:08:

Joe,
Having retired 3 years ago after 31 1/2 years in public school instrumental music, I can only say:"Right on!" I was in charge of inventory for a large suburban/quasi inner city district, so I saw first hand what evolved over the years as to kids and, especially, parents being responsible for very expensive instruments in their possession.Years ago, as you said, kids [and parents, ultimately]were given the choice of restitution or suspension with police charges on those few RARE incidences where a horn was destroyed due to a kid's actions. In the last 10-15 years, I saw more and more ruined horns and an almost total lack of any parental/student restitution.Administration either didn't pursue it aggressively, sweeping it under the carpet, or threw up their hands saying that the parents would never pay anyway, so why bother. So we were left without a usable instrument and a reduced budget every year, making it impossible to replace damaged horns.
Parental lack of responsibility was very much a factor in my retiring early!
Scott

Follow Ups: