Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: St. Petersburg Tubas!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on December 31, 2003 at 15:43:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: St. Petersburg Tubas! posted by Doug on December 31, 2003 at 14:14:38:

I'd like to echo Doug's stand here. I have been lurking and posting on this board for about two years now. Although I suspect I am a good deal older than Doug, I learn a good deal on it, too. Certainly, there are many recurring themes which will usually elicit a "ho hum" response from me. I also realize there are many who are new to the board. I believe it is far better to let the topic play again rather than in some way berate the new poster.

Those of us who are "veterans" of this format have come to know that it is an open forum. As a result of this freedom, we are often subjected to many things which do not actually contribute to the topic. I would generally categorize those which berate others as fitting in that category. It seems that most of us are drawn to Sean's board by a few common interests. There are people who post regularly who have much to share with the rest of us. Then there are those who seem to think it is acceptable to be crude. And, of course, there are those who feel that they know more than anyone else. Although I sometimes feel that I have something quite significant to contribute, I more often have much less of value to share. I find that I mostly prefer to read and learn. I don't read everything that is posted. I maintain the right to pick and choose. Anyone else has that same right.

Perhaps most important among the thoughts I am sharing is that negative posts seldom have positive results. Let's recognize that not everyone has a vast amount of knowledge about tubas & euphoniums. In order to ask questions and learn, people need to be able to ask questions which seem either repetitive or "dumb" questions. I don't believe we need to squelch those types of question and attempt to make the original poster be afraid to try again. They should, if anything, be encouraged to ask questions. I happen to enjoy sharing WHATEVER I know. Since I would like to know more, I continue to regularly check this board.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: