Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner vs. Meinl Weston? Which is better?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on February 09, 1999 at 07:54:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner vs. Meinl Weston? Which is better? posted by Moises M. Carrasco on February 08, 1999 at 22:54:36:

One last thought on this. In the past ten or fifteen years there has been a big push to go to heavier equipment. I think it started with Bach trumpets, then Monette came along and took the trumpet concept to the max. Then Edwards and Bach started competing to see who could build the heaviest trombone. The weight of the horn increases the focus and decreases the overtones to allow for more fundamental which makes it "sound" bigger.
A cerveny "piggy" can no longer handle the big orchestral pieces (i.e. Mahler, Wagner, Prokofief, etc.)without getting lost. It's a lot cheaper to by a heavy trumpet than to buty a heavy tuba. To compete, many players have had to go up in horn size to maintain ballance without overblowing the horn to keep the ensemble sound. For example, nest week I'm doing 1812, with a trombone section whose knuckles all drag on the ground when they walk and all are playing the biggest and heaviest horns they've got. I feel sorry for the french horns as they are only beginning to produce instruments that are competitive with the "new" bigger than life, take no prisoners in the string section" concept of orchestral playing.
Sorry, I just needed to vent here a bit.
Roger

Follow Ups: