Re: Manic practice syndrome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fei Huang on February 10, 1999 at 20:19:43:

In Reply to: Manic practice syndrome posted by Sean Chisham on February 10, 1999 at 17:10:10:

Hello Mr. Chisham and the Tubenet,
I can relate to what you're talking about very well. Most days I play and it's not extremely glorious, but it's satisfactory. Some days I feel like I can make All-state blindfolded. Other days I feel like I sound like (AT)#$%. But since I always practice at my high school band room my band director, on those days, says he can't make out a difference between the tone of the days where I feel like I'm at the top of the world and when I feel like quitting the tuba because my tone is so bad. I can say that it can be VERY frustrating on those days. I just put the instrument away and do some non-music related activities for the rest of the day. Then I try again the following day. Then only good thing I get from those days is the strengthening of my will to practice more and improve on my playing skills.
I try not to take the tuba home because the tone is the most awful thing in the world and it frustrates me very much. Does anyone know what common things in a home can cause the tuba to sound so hollow and thin? The only difference I found was that the higher the ceiling the better the tone. Any insight would be appreciated.

Fei Huang

Follow Ups: