Re: Amati Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on February 17, 1999 at 18:00:52:

In Reply to: Amati Tubas posted by A TubeNet User on February 17, 1999 at 17:16:26:

No one in my family paid for my tubas. I used my student loans to buy my Hirsbrunner and paid off the Besson through another loan. Had to sacrifice a few things here and there, but I got horns which allow me to do most of what I want.

Regarding whether Amati tubas are good for any purpose: Well sure, everything which is sold is good for something. People bought Yugos and Ford Festivas, but you won't find many left on the road today. This is because they had a tendency to fall apart rather quickly. Instead of aiming for a particular brand because you know they are cheap, how about get a price in mind that you feel comfortable with and ask around for advice based on that. If those people who bought new Ford Festivas for $4500 would have bought, instead, a used Volvo for that same amount of money, they would still be driving it and probably in much more comfort.

Are Amatis any good? Well, if you only need the bare essentials and the price tag is $500, then I would say yes. If you are going to use the horn for many years and the price tag is $2000, then I would say no way. If you can save $2000, then you could jump in on the St. Petersburg tuba wagon. That is if the price is still $2000. For about $1200-1800 you could possibly get a good deal on a used Conn 2J from eBay. There are many options.

good luck on finding the perfect horn for you,
sean

Follow Ups: