Need vs. Greed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave A. on February 18, 1999 at 09:46:54:

I want to address an issue without hurting anyone's feelings. I've seen a lot of postings
by young players about what horn is right for them. First, let me say that it is necessary, in my opinion, to be optimistic about your future before you buy a horn. Let's face it......not everyone has the talent to play professionally. Additionally, there are a limited number of jobs. It doesn't make sense to buy a $12,000 horn that you can't afford IF you are sure that you will never make a living by playing. MOST players would do fine on a nice 4/4 BBb or CC tuba. If a player feels that he/she has a reasonable chance to be a successful professional player then go for it. I've seen a lot of people buy an expensive horn only to sell it for a huge loss a couple of years later when reality sets in. Please don't think that I am trying to discourage any of you because I'm not. I love playing the tuba. I played in the military for many years and wouldn't trade it for anything. I just urge you to think about the horn your are about to buy and be objective. Take care and God Bless!!!!

Follow Ups: