Re: Re: Re: Mutes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on March 03, 1999 at 01:00:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Mutes posted by Daryl Bean on March 02, 1999 at 10:47:27:

I haven't played a Wick, but the school bought a pair of H&B aluminum mutes a couple years ago. I haven't even played tuba in an orchestra, at least not yet (jazz band meets on the same night, and I'd rather play there & learn things that we don't even try in the other ensembles -- plus, it's much more fun!).

To me, I found the opposite, at least between the Griffith and the H&B. The stock, unmodified H&B plays OK in the middle range, but it got tough down low and up high. It was also really sharp. I could pull my slide to accommodate the change, which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to sustain a pitch while pulling the mute out. With a cardboard ring attached to the open end of the mute, tuning was tons better, but it played even stuffier than it did before.

I haven't seen a projection problem yet with my Griffith, but the times when I've used it have been thinly-scored around the rest of the group. So, I haven't had to punch through a bunch of strings and reed-biters yet. I don't forsee any problems with that, either... :)

I like my Griffith mute because it responds easily, I don't have to move any tuning slides, and I can still get that proper buzzy straight mute sound. My favorite mute experience so far, though, was a H&B bucket on a Conn 20J -- that was just _wet_!

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: