Re: V. Williams question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 03, 2000 at 20:20:02:

In Reply to: V. Williams question posted by Scott Roeder on February 03, 2000 at 12:01:01:

I could talk about this in great detail, but in general I will tell you that I believe the Oxford printed edition to be WAY over edited by Mr. Catelinet, regarding articulations. On the Vaughan Williams manuscript rental score, most of what one sees are long swooping lines over the runs of notes. Breaking all of that stuff into a bunch of little "uccuh-pecca-uccuh-pecca" compartments makes it difficult to concentrate on lines. The strings, for example, when playing lines similar to those executed by the solo tuba, play them mostly with single bow strokes.

The only "catch" to this is the probable REASON for Mr. Catelinet's extensive editing: the lack of enough flexibility to execute those huge swoops of notes without inserting a bunch of extra articulations in order to break them up.

Incidentally, this is a "cute" piece, and NOT a "profound" one. The first movement reflects the character of a "gentle giant". This is NOT the Sibelius Violin Concerto. With great attention to line AND one's toungue in one's cheek, a bit more than the edited solo part indicates that it should be used to begin notes, this can be a successful piece of music.

Follow Ups: