Re: Re: Request for Respect

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on February 05, 2000 at 13:22:58:

In Reply to: Re: Request for Respect posted by Brian Frederiksen on February 05, 2000 at 11:04:09:

In connection with my record reatailing day job, I had dinner with Abe Torchinsky back when the Gabrieli was about to be issued on CD. This was a pet project for Sony product manager at that time, Joe Szurly, an accomplished tuba player with an excellent background. Abe assisted in providing additional photos as well anecdotes. It was he who gave us the impression that it was Gizzy who took strong umbrage at hearing "Jake" uttered within her earshot. I never addressed him as Jake in person. As a student, it was always Mr. Jacobs. Although we never cease being students of such a master, as I got older and out and around, the relationship became less formal, and I felt perfectly comfortable addressing him as Arnold. The strange thing is, I inwardly felt it would be coarse to address him as Jake, even though, on a certain level, he WAS, and IS Jake. And as could be plainly heard, none other than Gene Pokorny uttered the J word from the stage of Orchestra Hall with the family survivers in plain view in box seats. That which seems disrespectful in life may be perceived as posthumous endearment.

Follow Ups: