Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for protection for bottom bow

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on February 07, 2000 at 19:41:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Looking for protection for bottom bow posted by Jay Bertolet on February 07, 2000 at 15:20:53:

I would fathom a guess that HOW TIGHT and the AREA OF CONTACT play a subtsantial role in dampening, along with the type of material. A loose leather cradle wrapped around the bottom would probably have a different effect than one that was very tightly laced, thus coming into contact with a greater area of the horn - just becaus two objects are next to each other, does not mean that they are touching on 100% of the area. Also, nickel silver in general has a brighter sound than brass, so the thin, lightweight plates soldered on still allow the horn plenty of vibration, even though having near 100% contact. At the advice of Don Harry of adding weight to the bell, I took the poor mans approach and put clear packing tape strips down the bell of my then too bright Mirafone 190 to darken the sound (I think soldering the wire is better, though). Four two foot strips were slightly noticeable, eight were just enough to help the horn not break up as easily without killing all resonance. The best approach was replacing it with a 1290 that had a thicker bell and different taper. Just food for thought, I would be interested in how your experiment turns out. I would be glad to receive the donation of your Cerveny and perform some thorough tests on it. :) Good luck on whatever you try!

Follow Ups: