Re: Opinion on St. Pete 201N

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Rubin on February 08, 2000 at 23:04:53:

In Reply to: Opinion on St. Pete 201N posted by Harry on February 08, 2000 at 18:23:36:

Hello,
I have been playing a St. Pete for just about a year and am absolutely thrilled with the horn. It has beautiful tone, and has great response in all registers. I also prefer the darker look of the nickel plating to the silver plating on most tubas (it is also less work to polish than silver, but still more work than laquer) My only warnings about this horn are that it is (like has already been stated) made of a thinner metal than many other horns, however I feel that the thinness contributes to the excellent response (The Yamaha YBB-641s we play on at school are built like tanks, and have the response of a brick {of course your mileage may vary}) I cannot give you any personal experiences however because I have been fortunate enough to have never damaged my horn in any way :) The other caveat is that some people are allergic to nickel plating and it will give them a rash (this is very rare); others are the opposite: nickel plating is allergic to them (this is my situation) Within a month the oils in my skin ate through a small piece of the plating all the way down to the brass (this also seems to be rare, because I have seen several St. Petes around with no such problems), Fortunately, this problem is easily solved with leather pads, I had mine made by Larry Black of the Atlanta Symphony (I highly recommend him!) All in all it is a fantastic horn with great tone and response, especially for the price, but if your students are rough on horns, you may want to consider a more durable option. Feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Good Luck!
Phil

Follow Ups: