Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone share my opinion?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on February 09, 2000 at 09:57:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone share my opinion? posted by Doug on February 08, 2000 at 22:44:54:

I have a friend that had a very similar experience with a 4/4 BBb Cerveny. Dented under thumb pressure, valves bent and wiggled and constantly needed reworked, terrible intonation, and played like a dog. I know someone else with the exact same horn that doesn't have near the problems although I still don't get excited by how it plays. I've played other Cerveny's that I actually liked and seemed fairly solid.
What I would take away from this BBS is that some manufacturers don't have very good quality control and that it would be extremely wise if you decide to purchase one to go over it with a fine tooth comb so that you don't get stuck with a lemon later. It just so happens that St. Pete and Cerveny happen to top the list.
I think the real tragedy here are the posts that attempt to change others opinion's but never succeed because it is laced with langauge specifically designed to incite anger in the intended audience. For the record, it is my humble opinion that this is a terrible strategy. If you are genuinely interested in engaging in discussion you *will* use phrases like 'IMHO' and back up your ideas with emperical evidence and facts. There can't be room for hate because you will be too humbled by the relativistic interconnected nature of reality. It sounds very deep and philosophical to ask ourselves, 'what can truly by known?' But it actually one of the most down to earth questions one can ask.
The second tragedy is the dozen responses to that post, all centered on the inciteful langauge. I would like to suggest that a better response to having your horn 'insulted'(That mental image always makes me chuckle) would be to ignore the post entirely secure in the fact that you are pleased with your horn regardless. OR, if you are more adventurous, take out your wonderful scalpel or reason and peal away all the rubbish intended to obscure the original posters insecurety's. Remove the inciteful language, find the germ of a thought hidden below and reveal it for what it is. Engage that thought. The great thing about this tactic is that you never have to settle to the original posts level and as a result your point won't get lost in the mush. Reason may be a false god but it makes a wonderful weapon against those that worship it.
I apologize for the length and philosophical bent of my post. I'm in one of those moods.
cheers!
joseph :)

Follow Ups: