Re: Re: Re: If you are a private teacher PleaseRead

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 10, 2000 at 14:17:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: If you are a private teacher PleaseRead posted by A Student on February 10, 2000 at 13:44:51:

I think that a student's ideas about music are EXACTLY what makes teaching them the "trade" so important. I believe that I do a horrible disservice to the tuba/euphonium community if I turn out a series of students who are nothing more than carbon copies of myself. Granted, I tell them what I think and believe but I also have an open mind about what they think. In fact, I encourage students to think for themselves, to find their own musical voice, to disagree with me and be able to state why they feel they're right. I don't even expect my students to make huge strides in improvement as long as I'm satisfied they are working hard. I think it is dangerous to expect a certain amount of proficiency in playing, in a given amount of time, when all students seem to progress at different rates. When I have a problem with a student, it is because they didn't work hard enough, or at all, and therefore it can't be my fault. Another poster mentioned the "leading a horse to water but can't make it drink" analogy which I firmly believe. I am not a professional cheerleader! If a student comes to me ready and willing to work, the progress and achievement they accomplish will be inspiring enough. No pep-talk or self esteem based grade can compare to those feelings! In fact, I tell my students that grades are unimportant, that learning is what matters. If I teach a student really good skills and they take that knowledge into the practice room and turn it into solid playing, they have received their reward. They are secure in the knowledge that they have accomplished and they don't need a grade to help them see that.

Any student who goes to lessons looking for compliments is misguided, in my opinion. Lessons are where you are challenged and where you learn. It is not a place where you are guaranteed to feel good. The funny thing I've noticed in my years as an instructor is that the students who work hard are always secure in their playing and are relatively happy during their lessons (except when they are disappointed in how they play that day). It is the students who don't work who are always complaining about how hard lessons are, how rough a teacher I am, and how unfair the whole thing is. And when the bad grades come to these students, one of two things happen: 1) They quit playing because they figure it wasn't for them, or 2) They start working harder and realize that they held the key to their own happiness and progress in their own hands all along. In my mind, that is how the system is supposed to work. Music isn't for everybody and you have to work very hard to be successful at it. If that idea is not appealing, then a re-evaluation of the situation is in order. Good luck!

Follow Ups: