Re: Re: Re: Problem with Schilke HellebergII

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan - NO on February 10, 2000 at 18:19:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Problem with Schilke HellebergII posted by Inquiring minds want to know... on February 10, 2000 at 17:49:38:

No, I am not making any money off of this.
Zip, zero, none.
I even have to pay for mine (well, I do get a discount, but they are still not cheap).
This mouthpiece is plugged less than, say the Bach 18, Conn Helleberg, and Schilke Helleberg II are, but is an excelent all-around mouthpiece for a dedicated tubist.
I believe in this mouthpiece very strongly and that, in its current and final version, it should be a serious choice for anyone looking for a large helleberg style mouthpiece.
I plug it a lot because I am trying to get it started. Once enough people try them, they will SELL THEMSELVES.
When the much overworked Terry gets them finished, Dillon will be stocking some for people to try.
Terry will also be putting up a page about them.
I originally DID NOT want my name on them, but that is a long story involving potential legal trouble. I am not an egotist, nor do I think I am any where near the worlds best tuba player. I just have a great mouthpiece I want people to try and see for themselves.

Here is why I think they are a serious contender:

1 Great low register, high register still very accessable
2 Comfortable rim that also facilitates easy changes between registers
3 Rich Dark sound that is not too 'poofy' and still has core to it
4 Heavyweight, as preferred by some (I won't get into this here, as there has been much discussion about this already), but not TOOO heavy. If you look back a little, you will see a post where the early production models were being redone for being too heavy.
5 Machined on a CNC lathe off a stored template for EXACT duplication by a master mouthpiece craftsman
6 Available in standard or large shank, silver or goldplate from the manufacturer

I hope this answers your question. If you have a medium to large piston CC or BBb tuba, give one a try. Who knows, you may soon be plugging it yourself ;)

Marty Neilan

P.S. Notice that I did not recommend one under the thread for student mouthpieces.

Enjoy making music on your tuba, with whichever mouthpiece works best for you and your horn!

Follow Ups: