Re: If you are a private teacher PleaseRead

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on February 10, 2000 at 20:06:49:

In Reply to: If you are a private teacher PleaseRead posted by A Student on February 09, 2000 at 21:41:48:

I'm sorry to hear your learning experience with your current teacher did not work out. Truly I am. That said, you need to decide if there is a proper student / teacher rapport and mutual respect. YOU are the consumer. That doesn't mean you are buying a diploma. That kind of diploma is available in the back of magazines. You are buying an education. If you don't like your current teacher's brand, move on. Look somewhere else. But first be sure it's a mature decision and not just a temper tamtrum because someone didn't let you coast. (I had my butt paddled a few times when I was young. I didn't like it, but I knew I was in the wrong each time.) So, if you still want what your teacher is selling, read on.
My college tuba teacher shared some advice that has held up since the day he told it to me. From playing tuba, to fixing airplanes and tubas, and most everything else in my life.
1) There is more than one right way, but WRONG is always WRONG!
2) There are usually 3 ways play it (or do whatever you are doing). The hard way, the easy way, and the way you do it on an audition.
Thank you Dave Bragunnier!
When your teacher or future employer is standing over your shoulder and says do it his way, DO IT HIS WAY! Go ahead and learn shortcuts, but know how to do it the AUDITION WAY FIRST.
Now in life's big plan for you, this one grade is nothing. If you flunked out because of that grade, the rest of your grades must have sucked. Find out from your teacher (future employers) what is expected (audition) of you, and do it! Otherwise practice saying "Want fries with that?" Oh wait, even there someone will tell you how to do something.

Follow Ups: