Re: If you are a private teacher PleaseRead

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Baer on February 12, 2000 at 11:48:20:

In Reply to: If you are a private teacher PleaseRead posted by A Student on February 09, 2000 at 21:41:48:

First let me say that I was rather amused at the request of the young player. Perhaps he needs a reality check.
Well, here it is.
The cold truth is this, if you want to work, eat, ie. make a living you had better hope that you teacher is shooting straight from the hip. When he or she tells you that your playing terrible and grades you hard you had better take that as a hint and get your act together. Your teacher has nothing but your best interest in mind. It's damn hard to get a job in this business and if you don't have what it takes you better get out now. What are you gonna do IF AND WHEN you get your first job, and the conductor starts ridding you and telling you to do something different? ( and yes, even conductors can be quite rude) How do you think he's gonna respond when you ask him not to be so direct with you, or maybe give you the pick slip in a kinder more gentle way.
Yes, I'm being quite direct with this subject because I believe in what I do and how I do it. I believe the reason I have students is because I am straight with them and I give them the grade they DESERVE! Yes, a few have complained but they do realize this is the real world and if they can't do it here, how will they do it on the outside. All of you that read this are the competitors for the same jobs that will open in the next few years.
In light of that, how do you want you teacher to handle you. Do you think by giving you a good grade when it's not desereved is gonna help you compete against everyone else at the next audition?
Would you like an orchestra to give you a job because they felt bad for you and didn't want to discourage you? Or do you want that job because you were the best player there?
Food for thought as you head to the practice room!
BTW take a look at Dave Zerkel's requirements for grades and tell me I'm being hard a hard ass.
Way to go Dave!
Good luck
Alan Baer

Follow Ups: