Re: Re: Re: VMI F tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 15, 2000 at 01:12:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: VMI F tubas posted by Adam C. on February 15, 2000 at 00:49:29:

Maybe since my old B&S F has become a "part of my body", the M.C. just felt like a "wooden leg", but what I DO remember was that the resistance reminded me of a kazoo (none, and I like a good bit of resistance), the intonation was as treacherous as the worst 6/4 contrabass tuba that I have ever played, and I just don't believe that F playing should be THAT much work.

This may sound like bragging, but it is simply my point of reference. (Realize that I am complimenting a piece of equipment, and NOT how I play it):

The B&S F that I stumbled across 17 years ago requires NO special nursing of pitches nor any adjustments for "funny" ranges. I am so spoiled by it, that even other "good" B&S F's (I have a "spare", which I am saving for when I completely wear out the valveset in mine) or other brands of good F's have become annoying. Unlike most people, because of this particular instrument, the F is my "main" tuba. (You shouldn't take my word for it. You could ask others who have played it. The first thing everyone says is, "How much do you want for it?") Further, I am not one of those who is looking for an F that "blows like a CC".

(Sorry for the long paragraph, but that should explain my slanted view of the M.C. F, and I am sure that you will play some of them yourself and form your own opinions.)

Follow Ups: