Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More questions :)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 15, 2000 at 09:25:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More questions :) posted by Joe S. on February 15, 2000 at 01:28:11:

Well, I can meet all of your requirements (except the one about reading subdivided type pieces) with one book. That would be the "Top Tones for the Trumpeter" by Walter Smith. Top Tones is far and away more technically challenging, and it has exercises in every key, both major and minor, and these pieces are real gems musically. They require great flexibility to execute properly as well as considerable range (though not so much when played on the tuba). Of course, these are written in treble clef but hey, music is music right? If you're looking for strictly tuba material, the two I look at occasionally are the "Etudes for Tuba" by Walter Sear and "12 Solos in the form of Etudes for Tuba" by Pierre Max Dubois. The Sear isn't as technical but is very progressive musically and requires a fair amount of flexibility between the ranges. The Dubois is exceptionally technical and they are very interesting pieces musically but they also go really high and there isn't much in the way of subdivision except for the last one. I play the Dubois on my CC tuba even though they are clearly written for a smaller tuba. Since you play primarily F Joe, you might look into these if you don't already have them. The beginning of the second one would be particularly difficult on an F tuba, I think. In any event, these three books have much more musical content, in my opinion, than the Kopprasch. And any time I want to practice my subdivision, I play through some Webern orchestra excerpts...;-)

Follow Ups: