Re: Yamaha F822 and conical bore: a complain

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 17, 2000 at 09:31:25:

In Reply to: Yamaha F822 and conical bore: a complain posted by Volpe on February 17, 2000 at 07:15:39:

My opinion is that your complaint is exactly why I don't play F tuba myself. I haven't played an F tuba that I felt comfortable with in the low range. I've heard alot of talk about knowing how to play these tubas and that you shouldn't expect the horn to play in that range just like a CC tuba. But all I know is that I don't have these same problems on an Eb tuba but I still get the sound and upper range benefits that you get on an F tuba. I know alot of really great players who use F tubas so it is possible to make that setup work. I've just resigned myself to the fact that the Eb tuba is a better match for me.

As far as the 5th valve being after the pistons, you should be thankful for it! After the pistons means that the valve can be larger in bore and thus be more open to blow. 5th valves that are placed before the pistons will be smaller in bore and may be stuffy as a result. Certainly, if you find the tuba stuffy now, moving the 5th valve before the pistons will not help the situation. In fact, it might make it worse.

If you're looking for a small tuba with a better low range, I encourage you to try out some Eb tubas. The Willson that I use is particularly good but there are others that are comparable. You also might experiment with some mouthpieces on your 822 and see if you can help the low range some. The search for what works is a worthwhile endeavor! Good luck.

Follow Ups: