Re: Re: Re: Converted Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 18, 2000 at 09:14:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Converted Tubas posted by Matt A on February 17, 2000 at 23:11:12:

You don't have to spend $10,000.00 to get a great tuba!!! Very acceptable choices, with prices taken out of the 1999 Summer Brasswind catalog, for the type of tuba you're looking for are:

Miraphone 5 valve 186-S CC $4695.00
Miraphone 5 valve 188 CC $5995.00
Rudolph Meinl 5 valve 3/4 CC $6495.00
Rudolph Meinl 5 valve 4/4 CC $7695.00
Meinl Weston 5 valve 2155 CC $7895.00

The above listed instruments are the ones I see the most, or hear of students having, primarily. There are others, even in the Brasswind catalog, that I didn't list because they are more specialized, in my opinion, and maybe wouldn't be as suited to general use as you would need. Understand that these are all brand new tubas. Buying a used tuba allows you to get a real quality instrument at even lower prices than these.

In any event, my advice to you is not to try and fit a square peg into a round hole. Do not buy a BBb tuba with the intention of cutting it to a CC and expecting to save money over just buying a CC. It won't happen. When I was in college, I owned a York Master BBb tuba and I wanted to switch to CC. At the moment of truth, I had two options. I could have had Rob Rusk, or some other tuba cutting guru, cut my BBb into a CC. Or I could buy a Rudolph Meinl 4/4 CC tuba used from someone who was getting out of playing. Even though the idea of having a York CC, albeit a cut one, appealed to me, the choice was really very simple. I could spend alot of money and maybe end up with a good horn, maybe not. Or, I could sell my York as is, and use the money to pay for the Rudy. As it turns out, the deal ended up being almost break even, I ended up spending $300.00 out of my own pocket to cover the difference between what the Rudy cost and what I sold the York for. Despite how the finances worked out, this was the smart play. The Rudy played really well and I knew that because I was able to pick it up and play it before I bought it. There was no such guarantee with cutting the York. Didn't I hear something about a bird in the hand???

To be fair, there are tubas that cost $10,000.00 and more. If you've diligently played all the various makes and models and the best tuba for you is one of these, then you have some very hard choices to make. But understand that an expensive tuba is not required for success as a tuba player, only one that is an excellent match for you. You need to find the tuba that is right for you, whatever that may be. Then figure out a way to get that tuba in your hands as early as possible so that you can start making the best possible music you can make. Good luck and happy hunting!

Follow Ups: