Re: Tuba MP3s

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on February 18, 2000 at 18:53:10:

In Reply to: Tuba MP3s posted by Matt A on February 17, 2000 at 18:52:50:

Not to get on my soapbox or anything, but I really am against the thought of tuba mp3s. Personally, if there's a CD by an artist that I respect and admire, I'll go and buy the CD. If they are making music that I derive enjoyment and even enlightenment from, they deserve my support and I am willing to give it so they can keep making this great music...ESPECIALLY in a microcosm of music (the tuba world) that is small and not as commercially rewarding as the big-bucks world of pop music. We really feed off ourselves as a community in a lot of ways.

"But it's only one song that I'm downloading"...if that's your approach, then you're not taking the whole picture. A lot of pop music is based on the appeal of the one hit song and not really a LOT of great artistic value (there are a FEW exceptions). It's kind of a short-attention-span syndrome. Most tuba CD's have a pretty good array of pieces and each one is pretty important and likely to contribute to the listener learning something. If you downloaded Roger Bobo's "Carnival of Venice" or Gene Pokorny's "Blue Bells of Scotland" (or anything else that would be closest to the "hit single") and that's ALL you heard...you'd be missing a LOT! It's kind of like eating just a piece of bread on the dinner table...where's the REST of the meal???

I'm sorry to not answer your question, but the idea of mp3s just galls me!

End of rant!

Follow Ups: