Re: Re: Re: Re: Memorizing etudes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on February 18, 2000 at 22:37:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Memorizing etudes posted by Joe S. on February 18, 2000 at 19:55:41:

I have wanted to jump in the fray a couple of times, but I had to think long an hard about etude memorization. I had never realized until today that I had alot of etudes memorized simply because I have worked on them so much. Now, I am thankful for that because I am never without something to play when I try out horns or am bored or need a break from what I am working on. What bothers me is that I have worked on them so much that I would have them memorized, I ask myself, what have I missed? I have all the major excerts memorized, but never play them from memory. I guess my somewhat convoluted point is that if memorization happens, fine, if not, so what. I wouldn't go out of my way to memorize anything, but through attrition, you will have alot of things under your fingers. Personally, I like having the music, and considering my above revelations, tomorrow I am pulling out the "Top-Tone" etudes I always swore I would learn and jump in.

Follow Ups: