Re: Re: Tuba for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by doubler on February 21, 2000 at 14:24:45:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba for sale posted by Matt A on February 21, 2000 at 10:54:52:

Matt, you're going to get clobbered for this 'recordings' thing unless someone steps up to respond to it as politely as possible, so please know that my intention is to be kind, not to be mean.

Asking for a recording of a horn that is offered for sale implies that YOU will sound the same on the horn as the seller would. In fact, there is no reason why this should be the case. Your other posts reveal that you are a high school student; Tony Clements has been a professional tubist since before you were born! This besides the fact that two comparably capable tubists will sound different on a given horn.

The only way to know how you will sound on an instrument is to tape yourself playing it. That means trial and error, which is a painful process, but it's really the only way.

Best wishes as you shop for a tuba. May I recommend that you spend time researching the archives for characteristics of various models, then after picking a few that seem to offer the kind of characteristics you want, start trying them out. If your lesson teacher is a tubist, and is plugged into the playing community, he can be of invaluable help (with great respect to those, like Joe S., who consider this a conflict of interest, it is my opinion that this is a valuable service that a teacher can offer, and a teacher can avoid conflict of interest by discounting the tuba by the full amount of the profit/commission the teacher would have earned if selling to a non-student).

Follow Ups: