Re: Mirafone or Miraphone, what's the diff?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 22, 2000 at 10:09:56:

In Reply to: Mirafone or Miraphone, what's the diff? posted by Dopey Dog on February 22, 2000 at 00:49:07:

I believe that the manufacturer engraved "Miraphone" on their tubas, but the old U.S. distributing company in Sun Valley, California (the predecessor of "Orpheus Music" - now in San Antonio, TX, who is now completely out of the tuba importing business) thought that "MiraFone" looked more European, "exotic", and "expensive", so the ones shipped to Sun Valley, California were stamped "MiraFone".

I purchased a new CC-186 from a New York City discount mail-order retail firm in the 1970's. That one arrived at my doorstep with no serial number and "MiraPHone" on the bell, which, at the time, I had never seen before. I suspected later that the New York Company "grey marketed" that tuba into the U.S. without going through the (again, then California-based) importer.

I am not an expert on the history of Mirafone/Miraphone, but this is the explanation that I put together for you based on my observations and limited knowledge, and it may not be completely accurate.

Follow Ups: