Re: Re: what's up with orchestral playing?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on February 25, 2000 at 12:45:07:

In Reply to: Re: what's up with orchestral playing? posted by Todd on February 25, 2000 at 12:20:15:

I really don't take offense to too much here and rightfully so. I am one of the "Rotting" music teachers you so scornfully mock. I am 39 years old and just got my certification 2 years ago. I was TOO STUPID to listen to my teachers when I was younger. I could run through my entire resume, which is mildly impressive, but I won't bore you. And yes, I play a whole bunch in a town known for it's opportunities, for everything but tuba. But, most importantly I AM NOT ROTTING AS A MUSIC TEACHER. I have learned more about music, more about myself, and more about human beings in general in the last two years than I thought possible. I see smiling faces when someone "gets-it", I sense frustration when someone is trying and doesn't. I am father-figure, disciplinarian, friend, and teacher all wrapped in one. I am able to do this well because I have had my day in the sun and sense that it is my time to give back what was so graciously given me as a child. Please, do not go into teaching until you have tried your damnedest to play. You will take your frustrations out on students who need your love, help, guidance, patience, and being. Education is a great way to spend your life. I am glad I woke up when I did. Please do a little self reflection and make sure you are doing this for the right reasons. Your attitude would suggest that you aren't. Good Luck.

Follow Ups: