Re: College costs and beyond

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on February 26, 2000 at 20:32:18:

In Reply to: College costs and beyond posted by Gary Press on February 26, 2000 at 18:46:44:

Gary,
Keep in mind that 90% of going to college is about new experiences and "growing up." (I think both you and I have done a lot of that since we were lurking around the old Eastman dorms together!) Also, many college students don't end up in the profession that they major in. I work in the high-tech field with many Psychology, Pre-med, and Pre-law majors. In fact the degrees that would have done me the most "good" would have been either Engineering or Business, but I wouldn't trade my good ole' Music Performance degree for any of those. Life holds many interesting twists and I for one don't think you should feel at all bad for your encouragement towards your students. After all, if you told them to go major in Physics and it turned out they hated it and ended up a horticulturist, they would always blame YOU for the fact that they aren't now playing in the Chicago Symphony.

Bottom line is: People make their own decisions in life for better or for worse. All you can do is encourage them to make them.

Bryan

Follow Ups: