Re: Getting Older

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A pro who knows on February 28, 2000 at 11:21:40:

In Reply to: Getting Older posted by Chuck Jackson on February 27, 2000 at 01:56:12:

This is a very interesting topic. I've read the followups and there is some good advice there. Let me add that body flexibility, particularly in the back and neck regions shoud be of continued interest and concern to those over 40. I am pushing 50. I play in a professional orchestra full time and I have recently (6 weeks ago) come back from a medical leave of almost 3 months because of a neck injury which occured as a result of my workout. I'm taking physical therapy and doing the prescribed stretches and exercises faithfully everyday. It has been a very painful arduous time to go through and I have found out that my problem is not uncommon among tuba players.

My advice (to paraphrase my physical therapist) is to go for "flexible strength" rather than power. Find a way to sit up straight without strain on your neck and back. Don't practice for hours on end without a break to stretch and relax. DON'T SPEND TOO MUCH TIME SITTING AT THIS COMPUTER! You could end up being an accident waiting to happen in spite of all your workouts, etc.

Follow Ups: