Re: Getting Older

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on March 02, 2000 at 08:53:54:

In Reply to: Getting Older posted by Chuck Jackson on February 27, 2000 at 01:56:12:

I have been proofreading a transcript of a masterclass Mr Jacobs did in 1978 (which will be on my website soon) and ran accross this quote:

"As a teacher, one of my big problems is that as a person gets older there is always a change in the vital capacity, there is a lowering of it with age and no matter what you do this still takes place. By the time you are in your forties to fifties, it becomes quite apparent that the six liter capacity of a 20 year old man - it is usually maximum at age 21 and begins to taper off and by the time you are in your forties. The six liters may be down to five. In the case of a person with 4 liters, it may be down closer to three. Capacity begins to move down and the habits, you take care of - in a certain way - and move it out - in a certain way, does not change just because you have less lung compliance and lung volumes to work with and the throat becomes more and more involved. The player with instrument has more tension. There is much more strain in the playing, some might recognize it, if you are old enough, some won't. It can be overcome if you can go far enough in this curve."

Follow Ups: