Re: Metallurgy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on February 02, 2001 at 14:48:23:

In Reply to: Metallurgy posted by Art on February 02, 2001 at 14:27:58:

Yes, pure copper is softer and therefore easier to bend (or dent) than brass. Interestingly, so is zinc! The matrix formed by this alloy is amazing because it is so much harder than either zinc or copper.

In answer to your second question, brass that contains nickel (and usually little or no zinc) is what is referred to as 'nickel silver' or 'german silver', and is commonly used for slides, valve casings and leadpipes, where extreme bends (if any) are not required and where dents, distortion or red rot are more likely or more difficult to remedy. French horns are frequently ALL nickel silver. The problem with nickel silver is that it is, in fact, more brittle and harder to work. As such, it is used mostly for cylindrical tubing (like a french horn)! Its vibrational characteristics are quite fine, and its other properties make it more desirable in many ways than regular brass. It is, in fact, the more expensive PRO horns, not the student models, that use a lot of nickel silver. And, of course, nickel plating is a less expensive, lower-tarnish alternative to silver plating, although it is not as shiny. It used to be very common on beginner horns. My first school trombone was a nickel-plated Olds Ambassador.

BTW (and as a disclaimer), I have NO formal train in the metal sciences, but have been doing a lot of reading prompted by questions on this website. I'm finding it a fascinating field of study.

Follow Ups: