Re: EEb-Yamaha, Besson or Willson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 02, 2001 at 23:34:41:

In Reply to: EEb-Yamaha, Besson or Willson posted by Jules Busslinger on February 02, 2001 at 19:01:12:

I'd say some of your characterizations are pretty accurate. I'd change them a little, though. For Yamaha, I'd say 50 horns-->49 the same, 1 different. They are a very consistent manufacturer. This is not necessarily a good thing, unless all those instruments are of a very high quality. Some folks really love Yamahas and some don't. At least that aspect of Yamaha isn't consistent. I would say the opposite of Besson. Their instruments can be very inconsistent. I've played some really nice Sovereign Eb tubas. I've also played some real dogs. Lately, I've heard rumors that they are having quality control issues as well. I owned a Sovereign myself for many years so I can safely say that if you get a good one, they are really nice. Just be cautious in picking the horn you buy.

I currently play a Willson Eb and it is the best Eb tuba I've ever touched. I've owned Yamaha and Besson and even Pan American Eb tubas but this Willson is by far the best. I'm curious to know about the valves though. You mention that you are buying one that has 4 rotax valves. I was under the impression that the rotax design was a rotary valve design and my horn has only one rotax rotary valve, the 5th. The other valves are pistons. Is the Willson you're looking at a 4 rotary valve horn? If so, I've never heard of that model. We just finished a series of concerts tonight where the orchestra I play with did the Verdi Requiem. I used the Willson as a kind of experiment. It worked out amazingly well. One of my students was in the audience tonight and she said afterwards that she could hear me clearly. She was sitting in the top balcony. This Willson projects like crazy! I've never played an Eb tuba that could produce that much sound, it really is amazing. Next month, we're doing Symphonie Fantastique and I'll use the Willson there as well. That's one of the nice things about this horn, it is able to deliver a vast variety of sounds as well as volume. If there is a down side to the Willson, it is the high price. Buying one used is the best way to go (I did the same thing myself) and if you've found one you like, I don't think you'll regret spending the money. The horn definitely pulls its own weight.

Good luck and good hunting!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: