Re: physical/aural sensation survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on February 07, 2001 at 15:40:57:

In Reply to: physical/aural sensation survey posted by Joe S. on February 07, 2001 at 02:12:39:

My favorite sound and feel anywhere, but especially in our hall (uh, BARN...) is the low C on my Alex 163. Last mvt. of Scheherezade...you know the chord...or the end of Meistersinger...and we just did the Organ Symphony in two different halls...

After six years of owning this really neat tuba, I guess that I have come to take it for granted; I am used to it now. However, there are times when I can't believe that the sound I am hearing is really me! It makes me think of all the years spent studying recordings, going to concerts, sitting in lessons, thinking that I will never go anywhere or amount to anything, followed by eight years of existing (in the main) on a diet of "Jurassic Park" and "Windmills of Your Mind" or a Beethoven or Mozart cycle. I get to play big tuba stuff fairly often, but mainly sh-- the rest of the time.

When I AM fortunate enough to have these all-too-rare, sit-up-and-listen moments on stage, my faith in why I chose to do this instead of writing lines of computer code is justified. I go home feeling good and wanting to laugh a lot.

I am in love with the sound of this tuba. I am in love with music.

Sorry to ramble on like this...thanks for this thread, Joe. It is not silly to me.

Wade Rackley

Follow Ups: